Hwy 33 Pavement Replacement, Intersection Improvements
- On Hwy 33 in Cloquet from I-35 to the Big Lake Road intersection
- Spring 2014 through fall 2014
- Currently there are no traffic impacts.
- Traffic will be restricted to a single lane in each direction during spring and summer of 2014.
Proposed project layout
- The pavement on Hwy 33 and about two feet of poor-quality soil below the pavement will be removed. The soil with be replaced with a sand/gravel material that will provide better drainage. The road surface will then be repaved. The new, smoother road surface should last for many years.
- The reconstructed intersection at Big Lake Road/Doddridge Avenue will include a through-lane, new right- and left-turn lanes for eastbound and westbound traffic and pedestrian signals. These improvements will improve traffic flow through the intersection.
- Safety improvements are proposed at the Armory Road intersection. A new turn-lane will be constructed from northbound Hwy 33 to the Super One grocery store area. Southbound Hwy 33 traffic will use the existing crossover to turn into the L&M Fleet Supply area. Traffic exiting the Super One grocery store area will access northbound Hwy 33 via the Big Lake Road/Doddridge Avenue signalized intersection or by making a U-turn at Washington Avenue.