- Interstate 35 from
- $x.xx million
This project is completed with the exception of minor striping and landscaping work. Finishing work resumes May 20, 2013. Motorists may encounter temporary, minor delays. Traffic will be controlled by flaggers.
Project information (Oct. 9)
Highway 1 south of Ely has reopened and motorists are now able to drive through the work zone. Motorists are encouraged to drive slowly and watch for workers and advance warning signs in the work zone. Flaggers will direct traffic in the work zone at multiple locations and motorists should expect delays.
The first layer—or lift—of bituminous has been paved on about 3.6 miles of the northern end of the work zone. Two additional layers are needed to complete this section. The remaining 1.5-mile-long-section has a gravel surface. Paving will continue during the coming weeks.
The project is scheduled to be completed in November 2012.
Project information (Sept. 10)
The list below highlights important news and project details.
- The contractor has provided an updated schedule for the Hwy 1 project. The updated schedule shows that the paving will be completed in mid-Oct.
- We monitor progress on the project daily and have made a significant effort to keep this project moving ahead.
- The new alignment for Hwy 1 was determined after a detailed environmental review process. The environmental restraints for the project placed the new alignment in an extremely narrow corridor. There is barely room in some areas for the heavy equipment to work. The only way to complete the project safely was to put motorists on a detour for a portion of the project time.
Finished project benefits
- This project will completely reconstruct the highway and replace pavement that has reached the end of its expected life cycle.
- The project includes grading, new bituminous surfacing and drainage improvements.
- The project will reduce the severity of bumps and dips in the road, soften the existing tight curves, add paved shoulders and reduce the number of hazardous roadside obstacles. The finished highway will be smoother, safer and will retain the picturesque character of Hwy 1.