Hwy 194/Mesaba Ave traffic impacts
Motorists should expect congestion and traffic back-ups. Please allow extra time or take an alternate route to avoid delays.
Week of September 24 through September 30
- The northbound right lane of Mesaba Avenue will be closed above 4th Street, 7th Street to the north will be closed.
- The northbound right lane of Rice Lake Road will be closed.
- The ramp from southbound Interstate 35 to eastbound Hwy 2 (Bong Bridge) will re-open Monday, September 24.
The ramp from westbound Hwy 2 (Bong bridge) to northbound Interstate 35 will close Monday, September 24 and will remain closed for approximately 10 days. Work on the project will continue seven-days-per-week / 24-hours-per-day in order to minimize traffic disruption and expedite completion.
Signed detour route:
Go west on Hwy 2 over Interstate 35, take the ramp to southbound Interstate 35, exit at the off-ramp to Central Avenue, then take the entrance ramp to northbound Interstate 35.
Central Entrance: The eastbound free-right to Mesaba Avenue is closed.
Mesaba Avenue: The southbound right lane is closed from Central Entrance to 3rd Street.
Access to the west from Mesaba Avenue (above 3rd Street) is allowed at West 4th, 9th and Lake Avenue. West 7th Street is closed.
Superior Street: Eastbound Superior Street is closed from Glen Place Drive to the east. Access to northbound Mesaba Avenue from West Superior Street is closed. This closure will remain in effect until mid-September.
Traveling northbound on West Michigan Street, follow the “Mesaba Ave. Superior St Detour” signs to get to West Superior Street. Travel southbound on West Superior Street until turning onto Garfield Avenue. Travel southbound on Garfield Avenue until turning onto West Railroad Street. Travel northbound on Railroad Street until turning onto South 5th Avenue West. Travel northbound on 5th Avenue West until turning onto West Michigan Street. Travel eastbound on Michigan Street until turning onto 3rd Avenue West.
- Traveling northbound on W. Michigan St., follow the “Mesaba Ave. Superior St Detour” signs to get to W. Superior Street. Travel southbound on W. Superior St. until turning onto Garfield Ave. Travel southbound on Garfield Ave until turning onto W. Railroad St. Travel northbound on Railroad St. until turning onto S. 5th Ave. W. Travel northbound on 5th Ave. W. until turning onto W. Michigan St. Travel eastbound on Michigan St. until turning onto 3rd Ave. W.
- Detour to Superior St:
- Travel northbound on 3rd Ave. W. until turning onto Superior Street.
- Detour to Mesaba Ave:
- Travel northbound on 3rd Ave. W. until turning onto W. 1st Street. Depending on the staging, traffic will either follow W. 1st St. or N. 4th Ave. W. to get to Mesaba Ave.
- (1): Following the “Mesaba Ave Detour” signs, continue traveling westbound on 1st Street until reaching Mesaba Avenue.
- (2): Following the “Mesaba Ave Detour” signs, continue traveling westbound on 1st Street until reaching N. 4th Ave. W. Travel northbound on 4th Ave. W. until reaching Mesaba Ave.
The city of Duluth is reconstructing Superior St., which is adjacent to the Hwy 194 Mesaba Ave. project. Superior St. is closed and under construction between Mesaba Ave. and 3rd Ave. West. The detour for the Superior St. project will utilize Mesaba Ave. up to 2nd St. Detailed information about this project can be found on the city of Duluth website.
Hwy 2 Traffic Impacts
Two bridges at the I-35 and Hwy. 2/46th Ave. W. interchange which leads to the Bong Bridge and Superior, WI will be repaired under this project. The proposed bridge work will require periodic ramp closures and detours, as follows:
- After seeing the “Exit 253A Closed” sign, continue traveling on I-35 NB following the “Detour East Hwy 2” signs. Use Exit 255B to get to Wisconsin by I-535.
- After seeing the “Exit 253A Closed” sign, continue traveling on I-35 SB following the “Detour East Hwy 2” signs. Use Exit 252 to get to Central Avenue. From Central Avenue, follow the “Detour East Hwy 2” signs to get onto I-35 NB. Travel on I-35 NB until using Exit 253A to get onto Hwy 2 EB.
- From 46th Ave. W., follow the “Detour East Hwy 2” signs to merge onto I-35 SB. Use Exit 252 to get to Central Avenue. Follow the “Detour East Hwy 2” signs to get onto I-35 NB. Travel on I-35 NB until using Exit 253A to get onto Hwy 2 EB.
- After seeing the “North I-35 Exit Closed” sign, continue traveling westbound on Hwy 2. Follow the “Detour North I-35” signs to use the entrance ramp to get onto I-35 SB. Travel on I-35 SB until using Exit 252 to get onto Central Avenue. From Central Avenue, follow the “Detour North Highway 35” signs to get onto I-35 NB.
- After seeing the “Ramp at 40th Ave Closed use Central Ave” sign, continue traveling on I-35 NB. Use Exit 252 to get onto Central Avenue. Use Central Avenue to get onto 40th Ave. W.
South Street ADA Improvements - Traffic Impacts
Minor work to achieve ADA compliance from South Street to the pedestrian bridge over I-35 located between 16th and 17th Ave E will be done. This ADA improvement work will require a short duration detour of South Street.
- For eastbound traffic on South Street: Follow the “South Street Detour” signs to turn onto S. 16th Street E. Travel on 16th Street E. until turning onto London Road. Travel on London Road until turning onto S. 17th Street E. Travel on 17th Street E. until turning onto South Street.
- For westbound traffic on South Street: Follow the “South Street Detour” signs to turn onto S. 17th Street E. Travel on 17th Street E. until turning onto London Road. Travel on London Road until turning onto S. 16th Street E. Travel on 16th Street E. until turning onto South Street.
About this project
Summary of work
- Lane reconfiguration and minor grading work to eliminate the current weave situation between WB Superior St and WB Mesaba Ave.
- See layout showing lane configurations.
- Rehabilitation of the following bridges:
- Hwy 2 WB off ramp over I-35 ramp
- Hwy 2 EB on ramp over I-35 ramps
- EB Superior St./Michigan St. over SB Mesaba Ave
- Concrete pavement repairs and storm sewer repairs on Hwy 194 Mesaba Ave. between I-35 and Central Entrance
- ADA improvements on Hwy 194 Mesaba Ave between I-35 and Central Entrance