- Motorists should expect gravel roadway conditions from Co. Rd. 6 to 1 mile north and from Co. Rd. 6 to 2 miles south, as construction crews reconstruct the highway surface. The gravel surface may be wet down at times to control dusty conditions. Motorcyclists may find these surface conditions challenging or undesirable.
- The 2 mile gravel section south of Co. Rd. 6 may be avoided by using the following alternate route:
- If traveling northbound on Hwy 61, take Hwy 1 in Illgen City to Co. Rd. 6 in Finland and turn right on to Co. Rd. 6, follow this back to Hwy 61.
- If traveling southbound on Hwy 61, take Co. Rd. 6 in Little Marais to Finland and turn left on to Hwy 1 follow this back to Hwy 61.
Lane closures, detours
- Motorists may encounter intermittent-single-lane, flagger-controlled traffic. Pilot cars with escort motorists through the single-lane sections.
- Typical delays at flagger operations should not exceed 15 minutes. During peak travel times or if there are multiple flagging operations delays may be longer.
- The new bridge over the Little Marais River
is finished and open
All dates are subject to change depending on weather, operations changes or unforeseen conditions encountered during construction.