- Traffic is restricted to a single lane controlled by a signal system south of Arbor Street/ 88th Avene West. This is a change in plan due to difficult soil conditions at the culvert installation location.
- Traffic is restricted to a single lane in each direction from 83rd Ave West to Becks Road.
- Lane widths are restricted to 11-feet-wide at two locations in the project area.
- The speed limit has been lowered to 35 mph. Traffic delays can be expected.
- Traffic weaves will be used at various locations to allow for the contractors work.
- Motorists are urged to allow extra time as they travel through the construction area.
- All businesses are open, although some are using temporary driveways as new driveways are installed.
- Project layout (PDF)
Work on this project from I-35 to 83rd Avenue West is substantially complete, all lanes are open in this area.
About this project
- In 2015 and early 2016 work took place from I-35 to 83rd Avenue West. The original bid for this work is $10,385,411.
- In 2016 work will take place from 83rd Avenue West to Becks Road. The cost of the work being done in 2016 is $8,830,000. This phase involves reconstruction of drainage, new signal system, a bridge to replace an old box culvert at the Knowlton creek, new sidewalks and 3.29 miles of new bituminous pavement.
Summary of work
- The pavement in the project area will be removed to the underlying concrete. Then the surface will be repaved with a new bituminous.
- Driving lanes in the project area will be reduced from 12-feet-wide to 11-feet-wide. This will increase the shoulder width to 6-feet on each side to accommodate bicyclists.
- Americans with Disabilities Act improvements will be made at intersections.
- Pedestrian-activated, high-visibility crosswalks will be added in various locations throughout the project to improve pedestrian safety.
- Sidewalks will be included/improved on both sides of Hwy 23 (Grand Avenue) from I-35 to the end of the urban section.
- The sidewalk will be extended on the riverside of Grand Avenue to the Pleasant View Mobile Home Park.
- Additional trail connections will be made from Hwy 23 to the adjacent bike trail.
- Bike lanes will be added on each side of Hwy 23.
- Trees will be added (locations are yet to be determined).
- Bus pull-outs are being added based on discussions with the city of Duluth and the Duluth Transit Authority.
- Culverts will be replaced or repaired.
- New curb, gutter and sidewalks will be built on both sides of Hwy 23 from I-35 to approximately 83rd Avenue West.
- Curb and gutter will be replaced where needed.
- A few city street connections onto Hwy 23 will be closed due to proximity to other street locations and safety considerations (between the zoo and I-35).
- A new bridge will be constructed over Kingsbury Creek in front of the zoo.
- A new bridge will be constructed over Knowlton Creek below Spirit Mountain.
Other Hwy 23 projects
Map showing the locations of MnDOT projects scheduled on Hwy 23 from 2014 to 2016. More information about these projects.
Click on map for a larger view.