Thank you for you patience during this project.
Construction progress updates
Summary of work
- The pavement in the project area will be removed to the underlying concrete. Then the surface will be repaved with a new bituminous.
- Driving lanes in the project area will be reduced from 12-feet-wide to 11-feet-wide. This will increase the shoulder width to 6-feet on each side to accommodate bicyclists.
- Americans with Disabilities Act improvements will be made at intersections.
- Pedestrian-activated, high-visibility crosswalks will be added in various locations throughout the project to improve pedestrian safety.
- Sidewalks will be included/improved on both sides of Hwy 23 (Grand Avenue) from I-35 to the end of the urban section.
- The sidewalk will be extended on the riverside of Grand Avenue to the Pleasant View Mobile Home Park.
- Additional trail connections will be made from Hwy 23 to the adjacent bike trail.
- Bike lanes will be added on each side of Hwy 23.
- Trees will be added (locations are yet to be determined).
- Bus pull-outs are being added based on discussions with the city of Duluth and the Duluth Transit Authority.
- Culverts will be replaced or repaired.
- New curb, gutter and sidewalks will be built on both sides of Hwy 23 from I-35 to approximately 83rd Avenue West.
- Curb and gutter will be replaced where needed.
- A few city street connections onto Hwy 23 will be closed due to proximity to other street locations and safety considerations (between the zoo and I-35).
- A new bridge will be constructed over Kingsbury Creek in front of the zoo.
- A new bridge will be constructed over Knowlton Creek below Spirit Mountain.