in Grand Rapids
- Hwy 169 from 3rd Street N to 13th Street S in Grand Rapids
- Late April 2012 to Oct.1, 2012
- June 1, 2013 to June 30, 2013
- Most work impacting traffic was completed during the 2012 construction season.
Hwy 169/Pokegama Avenue reconstruction project wins multiple awards
MnDOT, District 1 has received three awards from the Minnesota Asphalt Pavement Association for the Hwy 169/Pokegama Avenue reconstruction project.
The project received a Work Zone Safety award in the “Static High Volume” category, an ADA Accessibility award (the first accessibility award ever presented) and an Asphalt Paving award in the “Reconstruction, Low Volume Traffic” category.
According to the Minnesota Asphalt Pavement Association, projects are judged on teamwork and dedication to improving Minnesota’s infrastructure in a safe, efficient and economical manner.
“This is a project that we can all be proud of,” said Mike Tardy, MnDOT District 1 Program Delivery engineer. “MnDOT had a great team working together on this project including; the city of Grand Rapids, SEH, Inc., local contractors including the prime contractor Hammerlund Construction, Inc., Hawkinson Construction Co. Inc., Itasca Utilities, Keller Fence Company and Deer River Trucking Co., Inc. We want to thank everyone, including the citizens of Grand Rapids and local businesses for their patience and support of this project.”
- The major work on this project, requiring long-term lane-closures is completed. The remaining work on this project will be completed during the month of June 2013.
Hwy 169/Pokegama Avenue
Grand Rapids is one of the best places to visit or live in north central Minnesota. This famous strip has some of the nicest shops, hotels and restaurants in all of Grand Rapids.
Whether you are planning to stay in Grand Rapids or are just passing through, don’t let minor construction activities keep you from enjoying all that Grand Rapids has to offer.
All businesses will be open during construction and look forward to providing exceptional services to residents, commuters and travelers visiting in this great part of Minnesota. For more information about local businesses and construction promotions please visit the Visit Grand Rapids or Grand Rapids Chamber of Commerce website.
Itasca Community Television
ICTV featured updates about the Hwy 169 project throughout the summer of 2012.
What will be done during the two-year project
- Total reconstruction and widening of Hwy 169 in Grand Rapids between 1st Street S and 10th Street S
- New center left-turn lane
- New continuous right-turn lane between 10th Street S and Willow Lane
- New curb and gutter
- Bituminous resurfacing
- Signal removal at 1st Street S
- New motion-activated LED pedestrian sign at 1st Street S
- Intersection realignment and a new signal at 4th Street S
- Pedestrian accessibility and safety improvements throughout the project area
- New city water and sewer utilities
- This project will completely reconstruct the roadway including new utilities. When completed motorists will enjoy a smoother, safer roadway.
- The new center turn lane will separate through-traffic from turning traffic. This safety improvement is designed to reduce rear-end collisions and improve traffic flow.