Amended Scoping Decision Document for Hwy 53 realignment available for review
DULUTH, Minn. — The Amended Scoping Decision Document for the proposed Hwy 53 realignment project between Virginia and Eveleth is available for public review.
The ASDD provides a summary of the scoping process findings and documents the proposed scope and focus of the Environmental Impact Statement for the project. The ASDD also includes copies of all comments received during the public comment period and responses to substantive comments.
The ASDD is posted at www.dot.state.mn.us/d1/projects/hwy53relocation and will be available for public viewing by 4 p.m., Tuesday, September 3 at the following locations:
- Eveleth Public Library – 614 Pierce St., Eveleth, Minn.
- Gilbert Public Library – 17 N. Broadway, Gilbert, Minn.
- Mountain Iron Public Library – 5742 Mountain Ave., Mt. Iron, Minn.
- Virginia Public Library – 215 Fifth Ave. S., Virginia, Minn.
- Duluth Public Library – 520 W. Superior St., Duluth, Minn.
- Minnesota Department of Transportation – District 1 Duluth Office, 1123 Mesaba Ave., Duluth, Minn
- Minnesota Department of Transportation – District 1 Virginia Office, 101 N. Hoover Road, Virginia, Minn.
For questions or comments about the project, contact:
Duane Hill, P. E., District 1 Engineer
Minnesota Department of Transportation
1123 Mesaba Avenue
Duluth, MN 55811
To request an ASL or foreign language interpreter, or other reasonable accommodation, call Janet Miller at 651-366-4720 or 1-800-657-3774 (Greater Minnesota); 711 or 1-800-627-3529 (Minnesota Relay). Alternatively, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please request at least one week in advance.
In May 2010, MnDOT was notified by United Taconite that its easement rights for a portion of Hwy 53 between Virginia and Eveleth would be terminated. Since this time, MnDOT has been preparing to relocate Hwy 53.