Minnesota Department of Transportation

511 Travel Info

Overdimension Permits


Red semi-truck features a yellow 'Oversize Load' sign over the grille.

Annual, seasonal or single trip permits

You will need to re-enter your credit card information the first time you visit the site.

Physical route survey

A physical route survey is valid when the surveyor verifies that the noted route will allow safe travel and sufficient clearance for the noted dimensions.

Did you know...

  • Self-routing of trips under annual permit is no longer allowed. All routing must be done through our online permitting system.
  • You can apply for permits online, mail, email, or through an independent permit service — not by fax or phone.
  • If MnDOT approves your application and issues a permit, we will charge the appropriate permit fee to the credit card you have listed with us. Please indicate on your application form which credit card to use.
  • Many permit types can be automatically issued online if you have an account set up with us. Our "Auto-Issue" feature is available for loads up to 12'6" wide; 14'0" high; 85'0" long; and Category 'A' weights.

Frequently asked questions

How do I get a permit?

You can get a permit in any of three ways:

  • Order online — 24 hours per day, 7 days per week
    • For instructions and tips on how to enter routes into MnDOT's online Oversize Overweight Permit System, please see guide.
  • Permit service
  • Walk-in

How long will it take to receive my permit?

Generally, one business day.

However, three (3) or more business days are needed for processing applications that require special handling.

(Special handling is defined as applications(s) requiring, but not limited to, the following: district review, route survey, and most self-propelled vehicles.)

When do I need a permit?

An oversize and/or overweight permit is needed when:

  • An overall loaded width exceeds 8'6"
  • An overall loaded height exceeds 13'6"
  • An overall loaded length exceeds 75'0" on combination vehicles
  • An overall loaded length exceeds 40'0" on single vehicles
  • When the overall GVW exceeds 80,000 lbs.

When am I exempt from needing a permit?

  • When hauling utility poles (over-length only)
  • Driving or towing Implements of Husbandry (e.g. farm equipment) at speeds less than 30 miles per hour. No interstate travel is allowed.
  • Through a Governor's Order or Disaster Relief

When are escorts required?

Generally, escorts are required when overall widths exceed 14'6", or under these conditions:

  • On any divided roadway, or when overall lengths are between 95'0" and 110'0", one rear escort is needed.
  • On any non-divided roadways, or when overall lengths exceed 110', a front and rear escort is needed.

When do seasonal load limits or increases take effect?

See the seasonal load limits page.

Where do I find information concerning new laws, rules and regulations about overdimension permits?

You can refer to: