How do I get a permit?
You can get a permit in any of four ways:
- ORDER ONLINE 24/7
- For instructions and tips on how to enter routes into MnDOT's online Oversize Overweight Permitting System, please see guide.
- Permit Service
How long will it take to receive my permit?
Generally 1 business day.
However, three (3) or more business days are required for processing applications that need special handling. (Special handling is defined as application(s) requiring, but not limited to the following: district review, route survey, and most self-propelled vehicles.)
What are the maximum dimensions of a vehicle that I can operate without needing an overdimension permit?
- Height: 13' 6"
- Width: 8' 6" This excludes rearview mirrors or temporary load securement devices that may extend an additional three inches on each side of the vehicle or load
- Length: Maximum lengths for various vehicles are:
- Single motor vehicle: 45'
- Mobile crane: 48'
- Each trailer or semi-trailer of a twin trailer combination: 28'6"
- Trailer of a two-vehicle combination: 45'
- Semi-trailer of a two-vehicle combination: 48'
- Semi-trailer of a two-vehicle combination, if the distance from kingpin to the center of the rear axle group is 43' or less: 53'
- Twin trailer combination, drive-away saddlemount combination, and drive-away saddlemount vehicle transporter combination: 75'
- Truck-tractor with semi-trailer combination and all other two-vehicle combination: 75'
When do I need a permit?
An oversize and/or overweight permit is required when:
- An overall loaded width exceeds 8’6”
- An overall loaded height exceeds 13’6”
- An overall loaded length exceeds 75’0” on combination vehicles
- An overall loaded length exceeds 45’0” on single vehicles
- When the overall GVW exceeds 80,000 lbs
When am I exempt from getting a permit?
- When hauling utility poles (over-length only)
- Driving or towing Implements of Husbandry (e.g. farm equipment) at speeds less than 30 miles per hour - no interstate travel is allowed
- Through a Governor's Order or Disaster Relief
When are escorts required?
Generally, escort vehicles are required when overall widths exceed 14'6", or under the following conditions:
- On multi-lane, divided roadways: 1 rear certified escort is required for loads exceeding 110' and up to 150' long. Front and rear certified escorts are required on loads exceeding 150' and up to 180' long.
- On any non-divided roadways: 1 rear certified escort is required for loads exceeding 110' and up to 125' long. Front and rear certified escorts are required on loads exceeding 125' and up to 150' long.
When do seasonal load limits or increases take effect?
See the seasonal load limits page.
Where do I find information concerning new laws, rules and regulations about overdimension permits?
Please refer to: