Minnesota Department of Transportation

511 Travel Info

Household goods movers (moving companies)


A household goods moving truck.

Become authorized to operate as a household goods mover

Follow these 6 steps to obtain a household goods mover permit:

  1. Submit a completed application with a $150 filing fee to: 395 John Ireland Blvd MS 420 - Room 153, St. Paul, MN 55155.

NOTE: A $75 per vehicle registration fee is also required.

2. Show proof of registration with the Secretary of State.

3. File and maintain proper levels of insurance

Form E: Property Damage and Public Liability. Minimum of $50,000 is required for property damage; for public liability, $300,000/$100,000 is required.

Form H: Cargo. Minimum of $50,000 is required.

4. File required rates and tariffs.

5. File a Certificate of Compliance form – Minnesota Workers' Compensation Law.

6. Complete Introduction to Minnesota Trucking Regulations / Initial Motor Carrier Contact (IMCC) within 90 days of being issued this certificate.