Minnesota Department of Transportation
- Engineer discusses need for SA with District Specialty Office, if needed
- Engineer and Contractor discuss work and payment - pay items or force account
- Engineer confirms negotiated items and Equipment Rental Rates used for Force Account with Estimating Unit or
- Engineer confirms SA wording with SA Tech.
- Engineer prepares standard SA form and may use sample SA language.
- Office manager reviews SA form
- Office manager obtains original signatures - Engineer, Contractor or representative, Assistant District Engineer on same document and tracks routing
- Office manager distributes signed SA - original to Engineer file, signed copies to Materials, head inspector and SA Tech.
- SA Tech enters approval information into Construction Management System. Standard SA is fully executed when required signatures are affixed and required funds are encumbered. Approval date in CMS reflects "fully executed" date.
- CMS downloads SA to the field office, including fund encumbrances and paylines.
- Office manager checks that SA is downloaded to CMS
- Office of Construction & Innovative Contracting forwards copy of fully executed SA to Engineer.
- Use Force Account for prices that cannot be negotiated
- No payments are allowed until SA is fully executed
- Use downloaded pay items for SA work once SA is fully executed
- Pay items may overrun if unit prices or Force Account are used
- Encumber additional funds with a request for overrun.