About the project
This project is located on Hwy 52 in downtown St. Paul between East Seventh Street and Plato Avenue. It replaces the Lafayette Bridge over the Mississippi River with two new bridges (northbound and southbound) that will provide two through-lanes and an auxiliary lane in each direction for entering and exiting traffic. The project also includes the modification and realignment of the Hwy 52 bridges over I-94, redecking of the Hwy 52 bridges south of the Mississippi River spanning Plato Boulevard and Eaton Street, and repairs and resurfacing of the bridges crossing Concord Street. A pedestrian and bicycle crossing over the river on the northbound bridge is included in the plans.
- Replaces a fracture-critical bridge with two redundant box girder bridges.
- Improves mobility by providing two through-lanes, an auxiliary lane and wide shoulders in each direction.
- Accommodates future Bus Rapid Transit through improved geometrics.
- Provides pedestrian access via a full length trail across the northbound river bridge.
- Provides for possible future light rail transit.
- Improves access and safety at the interchange/intersection at I-94 and East 7th Street through realignment of the existing access ramps and approaches.
Project website: www.dot.state.mn.us/lafayettebridge/