Greater Minnesota Transit Plan
The Greater Minnesota Transit Plan 2010-2030 defines the future vision for public transportation across Greater Minnesota and sets forth policies and strategies to meet that vision.
The Greater Minnesota Transit Investment Plan
The Greater Minnesota Transit Investment Plan, developed by MnDOT in 2011, sets priorities for transit investments in scenarios of both expanded and contracted future funding.
Veterans Transportation and Community Living Initiative (VTCLI)
The VTCLI initiative provided $1.77 million federal DOT grant to improve transportation service information available through the MinnesotaHelp™ Network, Minnesota’s existing hot line and web resource center for human service information. The funding will purchase hardware and software licenses to expand the MinnesotaHelp Network’s communicaton and information-sharing tools to transportation providers and veterans organizations.
2012 Transit Report: A Guide to Minnesota's Public Transit Systems
The 2012 Transit Report was prepared by the Minnesota Department of Transportation with assistance from the Metropolitan Council. This report is a guide to Minnesota's public transportation network and resources.
MnDOT District 8 transit
All of District 8’s 12 counties have county-wide public transit. Within the counties there are city systems, county systems and multi-county systems. Seven organizations in MnDOT District 8 have 5310-funded buses providing transportation for elderly and disabled residents.
- Provide access to jobs for residents of Marshall County through Western Community Transit (New Freedom funds this initiative).
- Build a new transit facility in Meeker County.
- Trailblazer Transit built a combined transit garage and administration facility.
- Continue to reach out to a wider audience to identify potential users and develop a way to economically address their needs.
Congressional District 1 transit system highlights
Pipestone County Transit:
- Implemented dispatching software.
Prairie Five Rides:
- Implemented a new passenger assistance program.
Murray County Heartland Express:
- Increased ridership by 4 percent.
- Accident free year
Congressional Districts 1 and 7 transit system highlights
Western Community Action-Community Transit
- Increased ridership on a route targeted to SMSU students.
- Added an additional deviated route in the City of Marshall to provide low income families the ability to get to needed services such as the food shelf, clinic and downtown.
Congressional District 7 transit system highlights
Dawson Heartland Express
- Maintained excellent passenger per hour numbers through dispatching efforts by drivers.
Granite Falls Heartland Express:
- Increased ridership by 4 percent.
Kandiyohi Area Transit (Kat)
- Implemented a Monday evening bus route targeted to disabled adult activities.
- Enhanced the Job Access Reverse Commute Route to meet needs of more individuals.
- Promoted bus transportation options for elderly and disabled passengers.
Meeker County Public Transit
- Implemented RouteMatch Technology software.
- Provided 8 percent more rides to the public than in 2009.
- Improved coordination with area pre-schools and social service providers.
Renville County Heartland Express
- Increased ridership 27 percent over 2009.
- Purchased one new bus with Transit Capital Assistance ARRA Grant.
- Constructed $2.5 million facility in Glencoe with ARRA funding.
- Installed mobile data computers on buses to coordinate with computer-aided dispatching software.
- Increased ridership by 7 percent over 2009.