About the project
This project constructs a four-lane divided expressway from the end of the Bigelow bypass to I-90 in Worthington. It will follow the existing route with minor changes in the Lake Street and Oxford areas in Worthington.
The project includes the following elements:
- Construction of a four-lane expressway along existing alignment from Nobles CR 4 to I-90
- Reduction in access locations
- Improved intersection alignment
- Replacement of the Union Pacific Railroad bridge
It is being constructed in three phases:
- Phase 1 - Bigelow bypass to Paul Avenue
- Phase 2 - Paul Avenue to CR 35
- Phase 3 - CR 35 to I-90
Hwy 60 is a diagonal primary route connecting Iowa and Mankato and, by way of Hwy 169, the Twin Cities. Worthington is a regional trade center for southwestern Minnesota and Hwy 60 carries a high volume of trucks.
- Increased safety and mobility through a reduction in access locations, additional capacity and improved intersection alignments.
- Increased bicycle/pedestrian access, including a trail in Worthington.
- Improved safety and traffic flow due to roundabouts at Oxford Street and I-90 eastbound ramps.
- Local government cost participation
- Roundabouts at Oxford (CR 35) and I-90 eastbound ramps
- Rail crossing upgrades
- Utility relocations
- Impacts on traffic and business access during construction
Project website: www.dot.state.mn.us/d7/projects/hwy60/index.html