About the project
This project completes a four-lane roadway between Windom and St. James, creating a four-lane corridor from Sioux City, Iowa, to Mankato, Minn.
- East Gap, Butterfield to St. James (6 miles) — Construct two lanes south of the existing two-lane section.
- Middle Gap, Mountain Lake to Butterfield (5 miles) — Construct two lanes south of the existing two-lane section.
- West Gap, Windom to Mountain Lake (8 miles) — Construct two lanes north of the existing two-lane section. Realign three county roads to improve intersection alignment.
Roadway safety and regional connectivity will be improved by providing a continuous four-lane divided highway to serve increased vehicle capacity.
- Environmental regulation and mitigation needs have evolved since 1983 EIS
- Soils have not been fully investigated yet, so there could be substantial muck excavation, which would increase project costs
- The Clear Lake construction area will likely result in special retaining walls
- Detailed alignment and access design through Bingham Lake may yield some additional costs
Project website: www.dot.state.mn.us/d7/projects/hwy60stjames/