About this project
The Hwy 63 Bridge over the Mississippi River in Red Wing is nearing the end of its useful life and needs to be replaced or rehabilitated. The Hwy 63 bridge over Hwy 61 also will be part of this project due to its condition and because of its relationship to the river bridge.
The rehabilitation/replacement of the Red Wing bridges is scheduled to begin in 2018. MnDOT is currently in the environmental studies/preliminary design phase.
The following components are being considered:
- Rehabilitation and replacement options for the Hwy 63 Bridge over the Mississippi River in Red Wing (the existing structure is considered fracture-critical)
- Rehabilitation vs. replacement of the Hwy 63 Bridge over Hwy 61
- Improvement of approach roadways
- Bicycle/pedestrian trail options on the bridge
Stakeholder and public involvement will be integral to the preliminary design and environmental documentation process. Municipal approval of the preferred alternative will be required from the city of Red Wing before proceeding to final design.
- Provide structurally sound, safe crossings of the Mississippi River and Hwy 61
- Improved shoulder widths that meet current standards and can be used by emergency vehicles, maintenance/inspection equipment and for vehicle break-downs
- Improved traffic operations in downtown Red Wing
- Improved pedestrian/bicycle safety
- Limited right of way available on Minnesota approach
- Maintenance of traffic on existing bridge during construction
- Developing a context sensitive solution for a historically and environmentally sensitive project area
- Maintain connections between Hwy 63, Hwy 61 and Hwy 58
- Improving traffic safety and operations