Resources to assist you in your Mississippi River adventure
Off-Road Trails Incorporated Into the Mississippi River Trail
- Cannon Valley Trail
- Heartland State Trail
- Metropolitan Council Regional Bikeways
- Paul Bunyan State Trail
Minnesota Travel and Tourism
- Explore Minnesota Tourism
- Great River Road Minnesota
- Mississippi River Parkway Commission
- Minnesota Scenic Byways
- Minnesota State Trails
- Minnesota road and travel information
Metro Transit (bus and train service in the Twin Cities)
- Northstar Commuter Rail (train service between Big Lake and Minneapolis)
Bike and Canoe the Mississippi River
Info on the Mississippi River Water Trail
Mississippi River canoe outfitters/shuttle service
History, Culture, and Stories
- University of Minnesota’s Telling River Stories (Twin Cities)
- Jefferson Bus Lines - serving Bemidji, Brainerd, St. Cloud, Twin Cities, Red Wing and Winona
- AMTRAK - Daily full baggage service to Winona and the Twin Cities
- Lakes Express - Scheduled shuttle vans (at least one day prior reservation required) serving Baxter, Brainerd, Little Falls, St. Cloud, Monticello, Elk River and the Twins Cities.
- Executive Express - Scheduled shuttle vans (at least one day prior reservation required) serving Brainerd, Camp Ripley, Little Falls, St. Cloud, Monticello and the Twins Cities.
- GO Carefree Shuttle - Scheduled shuttle vans with limited availability (call ahead) to serve bicyclists between Winona and the Twin Cities.
Traveling by public transportation to Bemidji and beginning your MRT adventure at Itasca State Park?
- Paul Bunyan Trail Shuttle Service
- Itasca Sports Rental (located within Itasca State Park) - will assemble bikes shipped to them and ship bikes home.
- Bike maps: Minnesota
- Cyclopath: A Geo-Wiki trip-planning tool for MRT side trips in the Twin Cities--designed by, and updated regularly, by bicyclists.
Guides for Traveling the entire Mississippi River Trail from Minnesota to Louisiana
- Mississippi River Trail, Inc -- A national advocacy organization
- Bicycling Guide to the Mississippi River Trail by Bob Robinson
Everything you want to know about Bicycle Travel
- Adventure Cycling -- premier bicycle travel organization in North America