Neighborhoods along I-94 are home to nearly 750,000 people, several colleges and universities, libraries, art galleries, theaters, parks and museums. These neighborhoods, which our earliest residents called home, are experiencing a resurgence of activity. Residents are raising families, building businesses and civic leaders are reinvesting in public amenities as diverse as a major league soccer stadium and parks and community gardens that help build and sustain our community.
I-94: The heart of the Twin Cities metro area
- This stretch of interstate includes 80+ miles of pavement, four tunnels and more than 145 bridges, many of which were built in the 1960's and 1970's.
- 1.75 million people live in Hennepin and Ramsey Counties. Of those, 250,000 live within one mile of I-94.
- There are 23 rich and diverse neighborhoods with 70 schools, 24 theaters, 10 stadiums/arenas, 54 parks, and 7 municipal and county libraries.
- Traffic volumes along I-94 between Minneapolis and St. Paul currently exceed 150,000 trips per day; Average of 4+ hours of congestion each day.
- More than 2 million transit riders use this stretch if interstate every year.